January 2010 has been the coldest month since 1987 in Denmark. So far everyday with the exception of 1 or 2 days has been below freezing. It has snowed here a handful of times during the month with the majority of it coming in the last few days. Today was a blustery -7 degrees centigrade which really didnt seem that cold until the wind started blowing. The reason for this little history lesson is that if you arent familiar with Copenhagen, there are these man made lakes that separate the burrow or Norrebro from what can be considered central Copenhagen. These lakes have of course frozen over because of the cold weather. The ice is thick enough to hold a substantial amount of weight and today I saw it with my own eyes. There were a few hundred people out ice skating and playing on the lakes. Each lake is quite large. I would estimate that if you took a football field and placed it on top...the width of the lake would equal the length of the football field. Then if you covered the lakes with football fields, I would say you could probably fit maybe 15 or 20 fields on just one lake. Thats a pretty rough estimate though...the point is that the lakes are pretty large. Its pretty cool though that since they have frozen over it has created a massive area for people to play on congregate that normally isnt there. Even when the lakes are not frozen, they arent really used for anything. This is where a lot of trash ends up and a large majority of the run off from the rain ends up. All in all they are just big duck ponds.
So today was a fun kind of experience. It remains to be seen if I will ever get to do that again considering it has been 23 years since the last time they froze over like that.
The next thing I am curious to see is the harbor area. Apparently the ice breaking ships have been on call for a couple weeks now due to the freezing temperatures so I wonder if there is some ice floating around in the sea.
Ingen kommentarer:
Send en kommentar