fredag den 5. februar 2010

Six for Six

This past Wednesday my team had a basketball game. The second half of the season has been a bit rough but we finally got back on the winning track. Our coach missed the game due to some business in Switzerland so I, along with another one or my teammates, were put in charge. Officially I was listed as head coach for the game.

Since I was in charge I decided to sacrifice my game minutes in favor of some guys who throughout the season hadnt really gotten much playing time but have worked really hard in practice. I think it actually paid off well. One of the guys who had maybe played 5 minutes all season scored is first bucket of the season and shot with confidence ending up with 7 points. Another of our big guys, that has also barley seen time, clogged up the middle and grab some rebounds and drew a couple key fouls to get the other team in foul trouble. I was really pleased with the effort they gave and I think they really appreciated the court time. Towards the end of the game when it got close the normal starters ended up finishing the last 5 minutes.

I ended up subbing myself in which turned out pretty well. I stole the ball on the first possession and then got fouled and hit 2 free-throws. A couple possessions later I drove to the basket and was fouled again and hit 2 more free-throws finishing the game six for six with 15 points. Defensively we stood strong forcing quite a few turnovers and only giving up a very deep 3 pointer. The game was finally put out of reach with about 10 seconds left in the game when one of my teammates grabbed a rebound after a missed free-throw, was fouled and then hit both of his shots to put the game out of reach.

I was really pleased that it was a team effort and everyone was quite please with my coaching, which was nice because a year ago when I tried coaching it really didnt turn out so well. But really there was too much I in that team.

Ingen kommentarer: