fredag den 2. november 2012

Control Can't Be Controlled!



Control in Social Media


Are you a social media dic-tator? Think about your brand/company/NGO and take a real hard look at your practices. Do you force your community members to interact with you in specific channels and 'ban' them from writing in others? Are you constantly trying to take the conversation offline or into a private setting? What about listening to your community....are you mindful of their likes and dislikes or do you just ignore them and blast them with YOUR messages?

If you find yourself answering yes or even maybe to one then you could be either slightly or a full blown social media dic-tator. If you consider the amount of time I am connected each week in my waking hours, it is far more than the time I am disconnected from social media. I m not crazy, it is my job. And regardless of where I work, my opinions are just that...mine. So back to the point. With all the amount of time I spend on social media I see too many companies that are trying to control their brand and the people that they call fans and followers. 

Limiting the interaction between you and your community is actually more harmful than helpful. If you are 'oppressing' your communities and essentially telling them where they can speak to you, how they can speak to you and what they can speak to you about, then really you are just pissing them off. If you haven't figured it out yet, you do not have direct control of what people are saying about you. In fact, by trying to control your places and spaces in the social environment, you are just encouraging people to find more clever ways or new places of talking about you....and lets face it, if they are angry with you, then it isn't going to be something flattering. Most of the time the places and spaces they find to talk about you, you arent even present in. 

In the experiences I have had, giving up control actually allows you to gain control. It is important that you let your communities discuss almost whatever they want regarding your brand/company. I concede that there should be policing of comments and conversations that become highly offensive and hateful. But that doesn't mean everything critical of your brand/company is queued for deletion. Giving fans the freedom to do this and ACTUALLY listening to them helps you. You are able to take actual dialog with people and help improve their experience with your brand/company.  Doing so publicly shows your 'haters' that you are willing to engage them in a constructive way and that you actually care. And for your fanatics, it just fuels their love for you because you are reaffirming their beliefs in you. So by giving up control, you can influence and thus have indirect control. 

Have you seen any good examples of brands/companies that limit the conversation on their brand channels or are constantly directing their fans to other channels? Do you think I have a valid point or I am just and idiot? Regardless, let me know what you think....dont worry I can take it!


3 kommentarer:

BlueRoads sagde ...

This is one of a kind - Great post Nicholas!!! I hope I'm not such a dictator - but there is certainly a risk for all of us.

http://XeeMe.com/AxelS

Unknown sagde ...

This was a really good post Nicholas! You definitely have a valid point in what you are writing. To many businesses close their social media profiles for their customers to comment on, so they don't have to deal with the "bad" feedback. Seems like they don't understand that it is actually (both good and bad) feedback that makes their brand stronger as they are able to shape the product/service to their customers wants and needs.

Unknown sagde ...

Good point Nicholas! Companies should first be clear about what the social media are and find a way how to deal with good and bad feedback.