søndag den 16. september 2012

Being sick is for kids

I have had some time over the past few days to ponder the pros and cons of being sick and my list came out to be quite one-sided.

As a working adult, unless you hate your job (which I do not), being sick has no benefits. When you think about all the plans you have to cancel and all the opportunities for fun you have to postpone, being sick is really disruptive.

Just think if you have kids too. You can be sick, but the chances are you will still have some sort of responsibilities to handle. Even worse, if you are single parent. Being up early, watching your kids, making meals, etc. There really isn't any good time to rest and recover.

Now when you are young and in school, then that is a different story. I used to like being sick so I could miss a day or two of school. It rarely happened because I was always active was not often ill, but when it did, it was like a mini vacation. Staying home, often meant staying home alone and watching tv or sleeping. I could eat some soup or whatever else was in the house and then when someone came home, then normally they would cook me something. Sure I had to play catch up in classes when I went back and make up some homework, but I was a smart kid and really didnt have to do much to make that happen.

Now with a fulltime job and other extra curricular activities, being sick is pretty terrible. Deadlines at work dont get moved, parties with friends arent postponed and groceries dont buy themselves.

Luckily, I am not often sick, though when I do get sick, I am normally out of commission for a few days. I only wish that I had some of my favorite Campbells Soup to bring me back to my normal self.

Ingen kommentarer: